About Benchmark Human Services
Benchmark Human Services is a division of AWS, which serves more than 8,500 children and adults with disabilities in numerous states.
Founded in 1960, AWS is based in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and is a CARF-accredited agency. As an industry leader in deinstitutionalization, AWS has successfully transitioned more than 400 persons from state-run institutions to community-based living. To learn more about AWS, please visit awsusa.com.
Today, Benchmark expands the mission of AWS to new regions by assisting states in reducing cost and increasing quality in serving individuals with intensive health needs and behavioral challenges, including individuals with forensic backgrounds, and individuals with mental illness and serious emotional disorders. We achieve these goals by developing customized community-based residential options and crisis management systems using proven best practices.
Benchmark services continuum Benchmark's services range from waiver-supported home settings and four-person ICF/MR group homes to customized options for community-based services, which include:
- Delivering behavioral support services as a Medicaid certified provider
- Contracting with states to develop and implement community-based crisis management systems for individuals with developmental disabilities and those with mental illness
- Offering assistance to state and local agencies in transitioning individuals with intensive health needs and challenging behaviors from institutions to the community
- Providing interim management and consultation/training for at-risk service providers
Person-centered, specialized expertise AWS/Benchmark operates 74 specialized community-based residences serving persons with extensive health needs and behavioral challenges.
Our support models use a highly structured person-centered process based on AWS' expertise in successfully serving individuals with intense needs. We further extend specialized services and expertise through telemedicine, our online eLearning program and by researching, developing and implementing best practices.
Our goals: value, innovation, quality, results The goals of Benchmark Human Services are twofold:
- To develop innovative solutions that reduce cost and increase quality for public agencies serving people with disabilities and individuals with mental illness and serious emotional disorders. These include those with intense health needs, challenging behaviors and forensic backgrounds.
- To help children and adults with disabilities and with mental illness live as independently as possible, be included in the community and function at their maximum potential.